Indira Paryavaran Bhawan
The building has been designed as the highest green rated building, i.e., GRIHA 5-Star and LEED India Platinum. The requirements of GRIHA 5-Star and LEEDS Platinum ratings have been achieved by adopting various measures some of which are as follows:
- Effective Ventilation has been achieved by orientating the building in an East-West direction, separating different blocks with connecting corridors and having a large central court yard.
- The design is such that 75% of natural daylight is utilized to reduce energy consumption.
- The entire building has an access friendly design for differently-abled persons.
- With an Installed capacity of 930 KW peak power, the building has the largest roof top Solar system among Multi storied buildings in India.
- Total energy savings of about 40% has been achieved by adoption of energy Efficient Chilled Beam system of Air Conditioning. This is an innovative air conditioning system, where air conditioning is done by convection currents rather than air flow through diffusers and chilled water is circulated right up to the diffuser points unlike the conventional systems.
- Green materials have been used like Fly ash bricks, regional building materials, materials with high recycled content, high reflectance terrace tiles and rock wool Insulation of outer walls.
- Rapidly renewable Bamboo Jute Composite material has been used for door frames & shutters.
- UPVC windows, with hermetically sealed double glass. Calcium Silicate ceiling tiles having high recycled content andgrass paver blocks in pavements and roads.
- Reduction in water consumption has been achieved by use of Low discharge water fixtures,recycling of waste waterthrough Sewage Treatment Plant, use of plants with Low water demand in landscaping, use of Geothermal cooling for HVAC system, rain water harvesting and use of curing compounds during construction.
- The building has an earthquake resistant structure with a total plinth area of 31,488 sqm.
- Thin client networking system has been provided instead of conventional desktop computers to minimise energy consumption.
- A Solar power generation system has been provided at terrace level, by creating 6000sqm support area, for meeting with the complete power demand of the building. Power generation has already started w.e.f. 19.11.2013 which is being fed to the NDMC grid.
The cost of the project is about Rs. 209 crore including the cost of land, solar photo voltaic power generation and its evacuation system, three level mechanized basement parking system, air-conditioning system supported by geo-thermal cooling, IT services, audio and video system in auditoriums & committee rooms, furniture, provision for horticulture and other services.
The building covers only 30% of the plot area. More than 50% area, outside the building, is a soft area with plantation and grassing. Even circulation roads and pathways are a soft area to enable ground water recharge.
Robotic parking system in the basement can accommodate 330 cars. Provisions have been made for a cafeteria roof garden, as well as a gymnasium and yoga room for recreation and wellness of the employees. The office has been furnished with modular furniture & work stations.
The Indira Paryavaran Bhavan building has already received the following awards.
- Feb 2013: The Project received an award from Adarsh/GRIHA of MNRE for exemplary demonstration of Integration of Renewable Energy Technologies
- Jan. 2014: The Project was accorded 5-Star Green Building Certification by GRIHA under MNRE.