UPERC Releases RSVP Regulations 2019 for Net Metering of Rooftop Solar Projects
The Uttar Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission (UPERC) has recently issued new regulations for net metering for rooftop solar projects in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive Systems Gross / Net Metering) Regulations, 2019 also called as RSPV Regulations, 2019 will come into effect from the date of their notification in the official gazette. Additionally, these Regulations will supersede the “UPERC (Rooftop Solar PV Grid Interactive Systems Gross / Net Metering) Regulations, 2015″
RSVP Regulations 2019: Scope and application
These regulations will apply in Uttar Pradesh to:
- The distribution licensees (DISCOMs),
- Eligible consumers of the DISCOMs,
- Third-party owners of gross-metering arrangement of rooftop solar PV systems.
RSVP Regulations 2019: Key Highlights
- Consumers can set up rooftop solar projects of up to 2 MW. Hence, capacity range allowed now is between 1KWp – 2000 KWp.
- State authorities can undertake rooftop solar projects above 2 MW capacity through alternative mechanisms.
- The maximum peak capacity of the rooftop solar system can’t exceed 100% of the sanctioned load/connected load/ contract load of the consumer.
- Eligible consumers can install the system under either gross-metering or net-metering arrangement.
- Both net-metering and gross-metering of the electricity generation by a consumer, which is not an obligated entity, will qualify towards compliance of renewable purchase obligation (RPO) for the DISCOM.
- Consumer claiming accelerated depreciation benefits on the rooftop solar projects will only be eligible to avail net-metering arrangement.
- Third-party owners who have entered into a commercial agreement for the rooftop in the premises of the consumers will be entitled to install rooftop solar projects under gross-metering arrangement with the DISCOM.
- Third-party owners who have entered into a lease or commercial agreement for the rooftop in the premises of a group of consumer, will also be entitled to install rooftop solar PV system under net-metering arrangement with the DISCOM.
- Eligible consumer or third-party owner availing gross-metering arrangement will not be allowed to apply for net-metering arrangement within the same premises. The same will hold true for net-metering consumers.
- In order to provide flexibility to rooftop solar power consumer, a provision of mutual sale & purchase of electricity through a peer-to-peer transaction with proper accounting & billing mechanism using blockchain technology to be introduced.
- RSVP Regulations 2019: Website