Rajasthan Government has released Rajasthan Biofuel Policy 2018. With this it has become the first State in the country to implement the national policy on biofuels unveiled by the Centre in May 2018.
The policy lays emphasis on increasing production of oilseeds and establish a Centre for Excellence in Udaipur to promote research in the fields of alternative fuels and energy resources.
Key Terms of Rajasthan Biofuel Policy 2018:
- The policy on biofuels also seeks to help farmers dispose of their surplus stock in an economic manner and reduce the country’s oil import dependence.
- It has expanded the scope of raw material for ethanol production by allowing use of sugarcane juice, sugar containing materials, starch containing materials and damaged foodgrains like wheat, broken rice and rotten potatoes for ethanol production.
- Additionally, a biodiesel plant of the capacity of 8 tonnes a day had already been installed in the State with the financial assistance of the Indian Railways.
- The State Rural Livelihood Development Council would also encourage women’s self-help groups to explore the scope for additional income through the supply of biodiesel.
1. Rajasthan Bio-Fuel Authority
State Bio-Fuel Mission was constituted on 04-09-2005 under the chairmanship of Chief Minister. Later in 2006, Rajasthan became first state to develop Bio-fuel Policy. Consequently in 2007, a separate agency namely Rajasthan Bio Fuel Authority was setup under the administrative control of Rural Dev. & Panchayati Raj department.
2. Rajasthan Wasteland Development Board
Rajasthan Wasteland Development Board was constituted in 2009 to decide the policy & strategies for development of wasteland through soil & water conservation, Agro-forestry, Pasture development & bio-fuel activities under the chairmanship of Rural Dev. & Panchayati Raj Minister. Agriculture, Revenue, Forest & Cooperative ministers and chief secretary are among the members of the board.
- Rajasthan Biofuel Policy 2018: PDF