Almost all the households of the country face problem of electricity-cuts or load shedding. A conventional way solving this is using Invertors with battery back-up. However, a non-conventional and upcoming method has been using Solar Energy. The equipment required for a basic Manually-Operated Solar Back-up system are:
- Solar Panels
- Solar Charge Controller
- Battery pack
- DC to AC Inverter
- Wiring & Sockets
- Panel Stand
- Battery Rack
Now, we look at functions of each of the following equipments:
|Solar Panel||Generate DC when Sunlight falls on them|
|Solar Charge Controller||Charges battery and prevents reverse current in case of voltage drop.|
|Battery||Stores Electricity DC current (as chemical energy)|
|DC to AC Inverter||Converts DC current from batteries to AC Current|
|Panel Stand||Mounts Solar Panel safely|
|Battery Rack||Keeps battery safe|
The 3rd step is the connection diagram:
With Equipment and arrangement being clear, the next step is estimation of House load and based upon that System capacity. For sake of comparison, let us make a list of equipments that are to be placed on Inverter back-up in a 3BHK flat.
Hence, the load of equipment in our case = 650 watts.
Lets say we need backup for 1 hr.
Now going in reverse order:
- Capacity of DC-AC Inverter = 650/0.8 (safety factor) = 800watt
- Battery Capacity = power to be delivered * time = 650* 1
- Considering each battery = 12 V & number of battery = 2
- 650 = 2*12*AH
- AH = 650/48 = 27
- Hence, we need to buy 2 batteries of 12 V and 27AH each
- Solar panel, needs to produce 650 watts of power on average in a day (5 hrs,0.8 efficiency factor) .
- Panel wattage = 650/ (5*.8) = 162.5 watt
- Thus 200 watt solar panel that produces dc electricity at 12V, would suffice.
This brings us to last and most important part. i.e. cost of the system
|Equipment||Cost Per unit||Total Cost|
|Solar Panel||6000/100 Watt||12000|
|Solar Panel Stands||5000||5000|
|Solar Charge Controller||3500||3500|
|Total System Cost||35500|
Thus complete system would cost 35000 INR