Solar power projects can be set up anywhere in the country, however the scattering of solar power projects leads to higher project cost per MW and higher transmission losses. Individual projects of smaller capacity incur significant expenses in site development, drawing separate transmission lines to nearest substation, procuring water and in creation of other necessary infrastructure. It also takes a long time for project developers to acquire land, get change of land use and various permissions, etc. which delays the project. To overcome these challenges, the scheme for “Development of Solar Parks and Ultra-Mega Solar Power Projects” was rolled out in December, 2014 with an objective to facilitate the solar project developers to set up projects in a plug and play model.
Details of Ultra Mega Solar Parks Scheme
- The scheme for “Development of Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects” was rolled out by Ministry of New & Renewable Energy on 12-12-2014.
- Under this scheme, it was proposed to set up at least 25 Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects targeting over 20,000 MW of solar power installed capacity within a span of 5 years starting from 2014-15.
- The capacity of the solar parks shall be 500 MW and above.
- The capacity of the Scheme has been enhanced from 20,000 MW to 40,000 MW vide this Ministry’s order dated 21-03-2017.
- These parks are proposed to be set up by 2021-22.
- The MNRE Nodal Agency is Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) on behalf of Government of India (GOI).
List of Ultra Mega Solar Parks in India:
|State||Project name||Location||Capacity (MW)||Capacity (MW)|
|Andhra Pradesh||NP Kunta Ultra Mega Solar Park||Anantapur||500||1500|
|Andhra Pradesh||Kadapa Ultra Mega Solar Park||Galiveedu||1000|
|Andhra Pradesh||Kurnool Ultra Mega Solar Park||Kurnool||1000||1000|
|Andhra Pradesh||Ananathapurumu II Solar park||Tadipatri||400||500|
|Karnataka||Pavagada Solar Park||Tumakuru||2050||2050|
|Chhattisgarh||Rajnandgaon Solar Park||Rajnandgaon||500|
|Madhya Pradesh||Rewa Ultra Mega Solar||Rewa||750||750|
|Andhra Pradesh||Neemuch – Mandsaur Solar park||Neemuch||500|
|Andhra Pradesh||Agar – Shajapur Solar Park||Shajapur||235.7||500|
|Maharashtra||Paramount Solar Park – K. P. Power / K. P. Group||Beed||500|
|Rajasthan||Bhadla Solar Park||Phalodi||1515||2255|
|Tamil Nadu||Kamuthi Solar Power Project||Kamuthi||648||648|
|Gujarat||Dholera Solar Park||Dholera SIR||5000|
|Andhra Pradesh||Radhanesda (Banaskantha) Solar Park||Radhanesda||700|
|Odisha||Odisha Solar Park||Planning||1000|